Berlin is one of the cheapest places one can visit from Copenhagen. However during my first visit, it was just a stopover for traveling to Prague. But I totally misjudged the beauty and worth of this city.
Flight charges from Copenhagen can range anywhere between the lowest of 35 Euros to a highest of 100 Euros round trip. Easyjet has various flight options to choose from. Since it was just a weekend getaway, we booked for a flight early in the morning on Saturday and return was late Sunday evening. Flight takes about 50 minutes. Train to the city center takes about 30 minutes and cost about 3.5 Euro one way. You can opt for Taxis as well, which can cost about 25-50 Euros.
We stay in the heart of Berlin, i.e Alexandarplatz. Our hotel ,H2 Hotel was walkable distance from the metro station and can be easily located. The rooms were really good, clean, spacious and above all, affordable. The room costed us about 76 Euros for 2 people a night. It had included breakfast, which was quite a good range. There are a lot of hostels available as well. But since we had less time, we choose this hotel as its close to various attractions.
Click here to read my review of the hotel
Things to do :
- Take a walking tour (SANDEMANs New Berlin, Free Walking Tour) of this beautiful city before you plan on your day. Most of the things are covered in the tour , and later you can opt for which ones to visit again. This is a free walking tour, which is dependent mainly on tips. Walking tours last about 3 hours with a break in between. Also, they have 4 time slots to choose from, starting point is the Brandenburg gate.
- Brandenburg Gate – this is one of the majestic structures which can be admired all day long.
- Jewish Memorial : Walkable distance from Brandenburg gate, there is this memorial. You cannot miss this structure mainly because of the unique construction. Sad part of visiting this place is that, it shatters your heart and leaves you in tears.
- Berlin Wall: No visit to Berlin is complete without seeing this. Once stood between east and west Berlin now in mere presence can be located in and around Berlin.
- Charlie check Point: Nothing much of importance here, but still very famous among tourist. It was once a checkpoint for the east and west berlin.
- Tv Tower which is visible from most of the places in Berlin
- Berlin Cathedral – Its in a walking distance from the TV tower and at a equidistant from Brandenburg gate. Make sure to get a lot of pictures here for your intsagram.
- Parilment House: Which is agin close to the Brandenburg gate can be visited inside as well. However they have timings for the same.
Eat Street : There are a lot of options to munch on in Berlin. With a lot of Brödwurst joints in every nuk and corner, make sure to have it once atleast while your stay. There is also a Hofbräu Berlin, which gives you a feel of Oktoberfest throughout the year. However have a reservation in advance so that you are not disappointed. We also visited an Indian restaurant during our stay, Punjab. Really good food. But bit of a walk from Alexandarplatz, but can be tried , if you need to taste something different.